Beacon City Council Minutes
Thursday, November 3rd, 2016
Call to Order- Mayor Jim Hughes called the meeting to order at 7:00 p.m. All members present.
- Review Minutes from October 4th Meeting
- Treasurer’s Report –
- Claims Report-
- Stephen Memorial Animal Shelter- The animal shelter responded to two cases in October, animals were picked up and brought to the shelter.
Motion to approved consent agenda made by Richard Thomas, seconded by Darrell Rust. Motion approved.
- Hall Rentals- 1 rental in October.
- Clean-up & Animal Control- Nothing to discuss.
- Front St. Property- Nothing to discuss.
1. MidAmerican Energy Franchise Agreement- Mark Reinders, Franchise Manager at Mid American Energy, attended the meeting and discussed the electric and natural gas franchise agreement renewal process with the City. This franchise agreement is a legal agreement that grants MidAmerican the right to occupy and utilize the City’s public right of way. The natural gas franchise agreement expires in December 2016 and the electric agreement expires in August 2018. The city is able to renew both of these franchise agreements at this time.
1st reading held on the natural gas franchise ordinance and the electric franchise ordinance with a 1% franchise fee which be assessed on Beacon residents’ MidAmerican Energy bills in lieu of the 1% local option sales tax. A public hearing will be held on Tuesday, December 6th.
2. Homeowner Repayment Agreements for Williams St Culvert Work- The council reviewed the homeowner repayment agreements for the culvert replacement on Williams Street. These agreements will be submitted to and signed by the homeowner prior to completion of work to repay their portion of the culvert repair.
3. Anderson’s Country Store’s Liquor License (2nd reading)- 2nd reading of Anderson’s Country Store’s Liquor License. Motion to approve made by Dwight Howard, seconded by Ron Kauffman. Motion approved. Motion to waive the 3rd reading made by Darrell Rust, seconded by Ron Kauffman. Motion approved.
4. City Annual Financial Report- Council reviewed and approved the 2016 City Annual Financial Report. Jaimie, City Clerk, will publish the financial report and will submit to the State of Iowa.
Next Scheduled Council Meeting Tuesday, December 6th
Adjournment- Motion to adjourn made by Cecil Smith, seconded by Dwight Howard. Meeting adjourned at 8:14 p.m.