Beacon City Council Agenda
Tuesday, August 13th, 2019
Call to Order- Mayor Jim Hughes called the meeting to order at 7:00 p.m. City Council members present: Richard Thomas, Ron Kauffman, Danny Fetters, and Dwight Teeter. City Council members absent: Cecil Smith.
- General Business
- Review Minutes from July 9th Meeting
- Treasurer’s Report
- Claims Report
Motion made to approve the consent agenda made by Richard Thomas, seconded by Ron Kauffman. All members voted in favor, motion approved.
- Hall Rentals- 4 hall rentals in the month of July
- Clean-up & Animal Control – 0 intakes for the month of July – Eric Dursky, employee of the Mahaska Co. and Keokuk Co. Board of Health attended meeting. Eric brought copies of different ordinances for examples of open burning, nuisances, nuisance abatement, etc. Eric also explained his responsibilities and duties with the Mahaska Co. and Keokuk Co. Board of Health.
- Committee Reports- Trees were trimmed up at the City Park.
- City Code Codification- Updated Proposed Table of Contents has been reviewed and approved with Sterling Codifiers. Sterling Codifiers will now work on reviewing the current ordinances on file to make sure they meet State Code and are up to date.
- New City Hall – Mayor and City Clerk had a conference call on July 24th. Council will receive more information once school starts and students start on the project.
- Williams and Sherman Street Culvert- Council reviewed bid from Concrete Expressions for $21,105 to complete work. Motion made to approve made by Ron Kauffman, seconded by Richard Thomas. All members voted in favor, motion approved.
- Ditch Cleanup- Council reviewed bid from Concrete Expressions for $18,980 to complete work from Anderson Alley to Thomas Alley. Motion made to approve made by Ron Kauffman, seconded by Richard Thomas. All members voted in favor, motion approved.
Concrete Expressions is going to go look at the ditch along Indian Way to work up a bid on cleaning out approximately 50 ft of ditch.
8. 412 Reid Street- Hearing is scheduled for August 30, 2019 at 10 a.m. at the Mahaska County Courthouse.
9. Sale of Property located at the end of Grant Street- Resolution 08-13-19 entitled “RESOLUTION TO FIX DATE OF PUBLIC HEARING ON INTENT TO DISPOSE OF REAL ESTATE OWNED BY THE CITY OF BEACON, IOWA” was introduced. Dwight Teeter moved its approval, Danny Fetters seconded. All members voted in favor, motion approved.
Public Hearing is scheduled for Tuesday, September 3rd at 7:00 p.m. at the Beacon City Hall.
10. 28E Agreement for Police Protection Services- Signed 28E Agreement has been submitted; waiting for approval at Board of Supervisors meeting that occurred on August 5th.
11. FY20 Animal Control Services- Animal Control Services contract has been submitted; 1st half of payment will be submitted in August.
12. Waterway behind Clare Hoven- Concrete Expressions will go out to the property to look at.
13. City Election- Filing dates for nomination and affidavit papers are August 26th through September 19th. Filing is to be done with City Clerk, Jaimie Williamson.
Next Scheduled Council Meeting Tuesday, September 3rd at 7 p.m.
Adjournment- Motion to adjourn made by Dwight Teeter, seconded by Danny Fetters. All members voted in favor, motion approved. Meeting adjourned at 8:10 p.m.