Beacon City Council Minutes
Tuesday, August 4th 2020
I. Call to Order- Mayor Jim Hughes called the meeting to order at 6:56 p.m. City Council members present: Tom Van Der Veer, Richard Thomas, Dwight Teeter, Ron Kauffman, and Ron Ferree.
II. General Business
- Review Minutes from July 7th Meeting
- Treasurer’s Report
- Claims Report
Motion made to approve the consent agenda made by Tom Van Der Veer, seconded by Richard Thomas. All members voted in favor, motion approved.
III. Old Business
- Hall Rentals- The city is currently not renting out the town hall due to COVID-19.
- Clean-up & Animal Control- 1 stray animal intakes in the month of July.
- Committee Reports
- Mahaska Co. Solid Waste: Has been investing in new equipment, including, but not limited to: dozer, skid loader, tarp system, truck, and tanker.
- Little Free Library- Altrusa International of Oskaloosa has installed the Little Free Library.
Briana and Travis Musgrove brought a Little Free Library that was donated by Jerry Thompson trucking. They’d like to install this next to the one that Altrusa International installed and have one designated as an adult Little Free Library and one designated as a children’s Little Free Library. Motion made by Ron Kauffman to install the Little Free Library donated by Jerry Thompson trucking, seconded by Ron Ferree. All members voted in favor, motion approved.
- City Code Codification- The codification company reached out with some questions and City Clerk, Jaimie Williamson, promptly responded. Have not heard anything since.
IV. New Business
- City Hall Repair/Remodel Bids- Council looked into the City Hall crawl space and found that a beam is broke and rotted at the entry door of the City Hall. Neal Van Egmond attended the meeting and stated that the beam could be repaired/replaced fairly easy. He has no concerns in regards to the foundation of the City Hall other than some minor tuck pointing. Neal Van Egmond estimated that it wouldn’t be more than $500 to repair/replace the beam.
Richard Thomas made a motion to accept Neal’s bid on remodeling the City Hall, installing the exit on the North or West side of the building, and to build an office, Tom Van Der Veer seconded. Ron Kauffman and Dwight Teeter voted nay, Ron Ferree voted in favor. Motion approved.
Dwight Teeter made a motion to include on the Election Ballot language that allows Beacon residents to vote as to whether they want to remodel or replace the current City Hall, seconded by Ron Kauffman. Tom Van Der Veer, Richard Thomas, and Ron Ferree voted nay. Motion did not carry.
Richard Thomas will follow up with Neal on a start date for the City Hall remodeling. Richard will also follow up with G&B Foundation Repair and work to get a quote on a new ramp and stairs for the entry to the City Hall and for the back entry that will be installed.
- Public Hearing for 412 Reid St, legally described as: Lot Seventy-three of Price’s Addition to the Town of Enterprise, now called Beacon, Iowa- The mayor announced this is the time and place for the public hearing for the sale of property legally described as above. There were no oral or written comments received. The mayor declared said hearing closed.
- Resolution 080420- Resolution 080420 entitled “A RESOLUTION APPROVING THE SALE OF REAL ESTATE TO JAKE GRIFFIN” was introduced. Ron Kauffman moved its approval, Ron Ferree seconded. All members voted in favor, motion approved. Whereupon the Mayor declared said resolution duly adopted.
- From the Floor-
- City Hall AC Unit- Dwight will contact Johnson’s Heating & Air Conditioning to come look at the City Hall AC Unit.
- Tom Van Der Veer reported that there are children playing at the sewer lagoon. Sheriff VanRenterghem advised council to call the Sheriff’s Department if the children are seen there again.
- Tom Van Der Veer brought up whether the council should continue paying Angie Mathis for custodial duties. Council discussed and decided to continue to pay Angie her monthly fee.
- Ron Ferree reported that there is washout by the culvert on Elm Street North of City Hall. Dwight said that he can get Concrete Expressions there to pack in the dirt for now and get a bid for a funnel ramp.
- Sheriff VanRenterghem introduced the newest deputy Joe Goemaat.
V. Next Scheduled Council Meeting Thursday, September 3rd at 7 p.m.
VI. Adjournment- Motion to adjourn made by Dwight Teeter, seconded by Ron Kaufman. All members voted in favor, meeting adjourned at 7:39 p.m.