Beacon City Council Minutes
Tuesday, September 5th 2017
- Call to Order- Mayor Jim Hughes called the meeting to order at 7:02 p.m. City Council members present: Cecil Smith, Darrell Rust, Richard Thomas, and Dwight Teeter. Council Members absent: Ron Kauffman.
- Review Minutes from August 8th Meeting
- Treasurer’s Report
- Claims Report
Motion made to approve the consent agenda made by Dwight Teeter, seconded by Darrell Rust. All members voted in favor, motion approved.
- Hall Rentals- No hall rentals in the month of August
- Clean-up and Animal Control- Stephen’s Memorial Animal Shelter reported the intake of two stray kittens in August.
- Front Street Property- City Attorney, Jeff Smith will be handling the closing for the property of 502 Front Street. City Council is waiting on a closing date from Jeff Smith.
- City Election -All City Council Members and Mayor terms end 12/31/17 -Candidate Filing: August 28th through September 21st _Nomination papers are available on the Iowa Secretary of State’s website and must be filed with the Beacon City Clerk -The Beacon City Hall will be open until 5 p.m. on Thursday, September 21st to accept nomination papers
- City of Beacon Audit Preliminary Report- Nothing to discuss.
- Mahaska County Multi-Jurisdictional Hazard Mitigation Plan- Nothing to discuss
- Resolution SFR16-17 City Street Financial Report- Resolution No. 09-05-17 entitled “FISCAL YEAR 2017 CITY STREET FINANCIAL REPORT” was introduced. Dwight Teeter moved its approval, Richard Thomas seconded. All members voted in favor, motion approved. Whereupon the Mayor declared said resolution duly adopted.
- Resolution 09-05-17 Depository Resolution- Resolution No. 09-05-17 entitled “A RESOLUTION NAMING DEPOSITORY FOR THE CITY OF BEACON, IOWA” was introduced. Richard Thomas moved its approval, Darrell Rust seconded. All members voted in favor, motion approved. Whereupon the Mayor declared said resolution duly adopted.
- Leighton Street Road Repair- Concrete Expressions completed road repair on Leighton Street. Council received a bill for $20,544 from Concrete Expressions for the work. Motion made to approve payment to Concrete Expressions in the amount of $20,544 made by Darrell Rust, seconded by Richard Thomas. All members voted in favor, motion approved.
- Mahaska County Sheriff’s Report- Mahaska County Sheriff Russ VanRenterghem reported that the Sheriff’s office had installed cameras in their vehicles and deputies are also now wearing body cameras. He also reported that they have purchased a mobile speed sign which will be alternated in areas throughout the county. No citations are generated by this speed sign; it just serves as a conscious reminder for drivers to be aware of their speed.
- Sex Offender Regulations Article 14 Chapter 2- Council reviewed the ordinance. City Clerk, Jaimie Williamson, will work to amend the ordinance.
Next Scheduled City Council Meeting Tuesday, October 3rd at 7 p.m.
Adjournment- Motion to adjourn made by Dwight Teeter, seconded by Darrell Rust. All members voted in favor, meeting adjourned at 8:04 p.m.