Beacon City Council Minutes
Tuesday, June 4th, 2019
Call to Order- Mayor Jim Hughes called the meeting to order at 7:02 p.m. City Council members present: Richard Thomas, Ron Kauffman, Danny Fetters, and Dwight Teeter. City Council members absent: Cecil Smith.
- Review Minutes from May 7th, 2019 and May 17th, 2019 Meetings
- Treasurer’s Report
- Claims Report
Motion made to approve the consent agenda made by Dwight Teeter, seconded by Richard Thomas. All members voted in favor, motion approved.
- Hall Rentals- 4 hall rentals in the month of May
- Clean-up & Animal Control – Stephen Memorial Animal Shelter had 4 animal control calls in the month of May.
- Lewis dogs- Terry Gott with the Stephen Memorial Animal Shelter was called 4 times within a week due to the dogs being on the loose in the city. Motion made to pursue issuing a fine to dog owner made by Richard Thomas, seconded by Dwight Teeter. All members voted in favor, motion approved. City Clerk will contact the City Attorney in regards to this manner.
- Committee Reports- The Parks and Recreation Committee is working on cleaning up the City park.
- City Code Codification- City Clerk is working with Sterling Codifiers on the table of contents.
- New City Hall (size, requirements, design)- No update, still waiting to hear back from Pathfinders.
- LOST Fund Allocation- Resolution 6-04-19 entitled “LOCAL OPTION SALES AND SERVICE TAX REVENUE PURPOSE STATEMENT” was introduced. Ron Kauffman moved its approval, Dwight Teeter seconded. All members voted in favor, motion approved.
- Williams and Sherman Street Culvert- Waiting on bids
- Ditch Cleanup- Waiting on bids
- 412 Reid Street- The City Attorney has prepared a Petition and Verified Statement for the City to sign, notarize, and return.
- Sale of Property located at the end of Grant Street- Property needs surveyed before City can proceed with selling. Motion made to proceed with getting property surveyed made by Dwight Teeter, seconded by Danny Fetters. All members voted in favor, motion approved. City Clerk to contact Garden & Associates for survey. New Business
- Fireworks- The City of Beacon will follow the state code in regards to fireworks. Fireworks can be used on private property from 9 a.m. to 10 p.m. on July 4th.
- 28E Agreement for Police Protection Services- The City needs to renew its 28E Agreement for Police Protection Services. The original 28E Agreement presented to the city for FY2020 has been rejected by the Mahaska County Board of Supervisors and a new 28E Agreement has been presented. Previously, the city paid $3,400/year for a minimum of 6 hrs of patrol/week. These funds were paid directly to a vendor for the Mahaska Co. Sheriff’s office for equipment for the Mahaska Co. Sheriff’s office. Now, the Mahaska Co. Board of Supervisors wants to charge $42/hr for personnel and equipment necessary to answer all calls for service with the City of Beacon. The Supervisors also wants these funds paid directly to their general fund. Council tabled until July 9th meeting
Next Scheduled Council Meeting Tuesday, July 9th at 7 p.m.
Adjournment- Motion to adjourn made by Richard Thomas, seconded by Ron Kauffman. All members voted in favor, motion approved. Meeting adjourned at 8:10 p.m.