Beacon City Council Minutes
Wednesday, November 8th 2017
Call to Order- Mayor Jim Hughes called the meeting to order at 7:02 p.m. City council members present: Cecil Smith, Richard Thomas, and Ron Kauffman.
Council members absent: Dwight Teeter.
- Review Minutes from October 3, 2017
- Treasurer’s Report
- Claims Report
Motion made to approve consent agenda made by Ron Kauffman, seconded by Richard Thomas. All members voted in favor, motion approved.
- Hall Rentals- There was two hall rentals in the month of September and five hall rentals in the month of October.
- Clean-up and Animal Control- There were no stray animal calls or intakes in the month of October.
- City Street Annual Financial Report FY17 Resolution- The FY17 Annual Financial Report has been published and submitted to the State of Iowa.
- FY18 City Budget Amendment- Resolution 10-03-17 and proof of publication has been submitted to the Mahaska County Auditor’s Office.
- Disposition of Records- A shredder has been purchased and City Clerk, Jaimie Williamson, is working to dispose of documents that are beyond our record retention requirements.
- Jamey Robinson, EMA Commission- Jamey Robinson from the EMA Commission provided the council with an update on the Communications Project as the county is working to rebuild the communications system. Currently, they are in the request for proposal stage and expect the project to cost between $4 to $8 million. The communications committee is reviewing the different options of funding. Mayor Jim Hughes plans to attend the December meeting.
- City Election Results- -Mayor- Jim Hughes received the majority of write-in votes. Jim Hughes accepted the mayor position for the two year term starting in January 2018. – Council Members- Richard Thomas, Dwight Teeter, Ron Kauffman, Cecil Smith, and Darrell Rust were all re-elected.
- City Council Member Resignation – Darrell Rust resigned from the Beacon City Council effective 10-17-17 – A new City Council member will need to be appointed within the next 60 days or a special election held
- Public Hearing 502 Front Street property- The mayor announced this is the time and place for the public hearing regarding the sale of 502 Front Street. There were no oral or written comments received. The mayor declared said hearing closed.
- Resolution 11-8-17 “A RESOLUTION AUTHORIZING THE SALE OF CITY PROPERTY LOCATED AT 502 FRONT STREET”- Resolution 11-8-17 entitled “A RESOLUTION AUTHORIZING THE SALE OF CITY PROPERTY LOCATED AT 502 FRONT STREET” was introduced. Ron Kauffman moved its approval, Cecil Smith seconded. All members voted in favor, motion approved. Whereupon the Mayor declared said resolution duly adopted.
- Liquor License Renewal- Anderson’s Country Store- Anderson’s Country Store will be closing on Saturday, November 11th, as a result, they will not be renewing their liquor license.
- LOST Fund Balance- Our current Local Option Sales Tax (LOST) funds are deposited into our general savings account, 70% are allocated to pay for services from other municipalities and 30% are allocated to pay for building a new city hall. However, there is $5,211.04 remaining in the LOST checking account and $19,296.01 remaining in the LOST savings account prior to the change in LOST allocation. Cecil moved to transfer these funds to the general savings account with 70% allocated to pay for services from other municipalities and 30% allocated to pay for building a new city hall, Richard seconded. All members voted in favor, motion approved. City Treasurer, Lois Nicholson, will transfer the funds and close the LOST checking and savings account.
- Oskaloosa Public Library Annual Report for FY 16-17- The Oskaloosa Public Library Annual Report for FY16-17 was shared with council members.
- Ordinance Article 14, Chapter 4- AN ORDINANCE REPEALING ARTICLE 14 CHAPTER 2 WHICH REGULATES THE RESIDENCY OF SEX OFFENDERS IN THE CITY OF BEACON, IOWA- The first reading was held on Ordinance Article 14, Chapter 4 entitled “AN ORDINANCE REPEALING ARTICLE 14 CHAPTER 2 WHICH REGULATES THE RESIDENCY OF SEX OFFENDERS IN THE CITY OF BEACON, IOWA”. Richard Thomas moved to approve said ordinance, Ron seconded. All members voted in favor, motion approved.
- Snow Removal 17/18- Council is waiting to receive bids.
- Mahaska County Solid Waste Commission- Richard Thomas accepted continuing to serve on the Mahaska County Solid Waste Commission. City Clerk, Jaimie Williamson, will contact the Mahaska County Solid Waste Commission and let them know that Richard will serve an additional term with the commission.
Adjournment- Motion to adjourn meeting made by Richard Thomas, seconded by Ron Kauffman. All members voted in favor, meeting adjourned at 8:01 p.m.
Next Meeting- Tuesday, December 5th