Beacon City Council Minutes
Tuesday, December 4th, 2018
Call to Order- Mayor Jim Hughes called the meeting to order at 7 p.m. City Council members present: Dwight Teeter, Richard Thomas, and Ron Kauffman. City Council members absent: Cecil Smith and Danny Fetters.
- Review Minutes from November 6th, 2018 Meeting
- Treasurer’s Report
- Claims Report
Motion made to approve the consent agenda made by Dwight Teeter, seconded by Ron Kauffman. All members voted in favor, motion approved.
- Hall Rentals- 5 hall rentals in the month of November.
- Clean-up & Animal Control- Stephen Memorial Animal Shelter reported 7 stray animal intakes in the month of November. City Attorney, Jeff Smith, is to be working with Terry Gott at the Stephen Memorial Animal Shelter in regards to the neglected dogs belonging to Chad McCartie.
- Committee Reports- A stop sign was knocked over, Mayor, Jim Hughes, replaced.
- City Code Codification- Received signed copy of contract. Sterling Codifiers will be in touch within the next few weeks with questions/comments.
- Nuisance/Abandoned Property Abatement- Mayor, Jim Hughes, has tried contacting the property owner of 412 Reid Street and has not been able to get a hold of them. City Clerk, Jaimie Williamson, will proceed with assessing $300 fine on property taxes for the city mowing the yard in July.
- Culvert on Sheridan Street- Work has been completed. Motion made to approve the invoice of $24,589.60 made by Richard Thomas, seconded by Ron Kauffman. All members voted in favor, motion approved.
- MidWest Sanitation/LDI-Recycling- Motion made for Beacon residents to choose their own garbage/recycling vendor made by Ron Kauffman, seconded by Richard Thomas. All members voted in favor, motion approved.
- 2018 City Street Inventory Update- City Clerk, Jaimie Williamson, will get the updated city map submitted to the Iowa DOT by the deadline.
- Purchase Road Closed Signs- City Clerk, Jaimie Williamson, researched potential grants to help pay for the purchase of road closed barricades and cones, however, she did not find any grants available due to the low amount of funding needed New Business
- Town Hall Funds- City Treasurer, Lois Nicholson, reported that upon review of the City financials general funds were used to pay for expenses that qualify as Town Hall use funds:
April 2013 New Door TJA Construction $200.00
Nov 2013 Signs at Town Hall Jim Hughes $100.00
Sept 2015 Ad for Storm Siren Intall Dm Reg $433.55
April 2016 Install Storm Siren Dickenson Const $20998.00
June 2016 Grant received St of IA $-15628.00
July 2016 Handrail Phillips Machine $1750.00
May 2017 Shed Door Danny Fetters $1150.00
Aug 2017 AC Repair Brown Htg & AC $106.00
Aug 2018 Tree Removal Breman & Sons $565.00
Nov 2018 Furnace Repair Johnson’s $433.00
Motion made by Ron Kauffman to transfer funds from the restricted Town Hall use fund to the general unrestricted fund balance, seconded by Dwight Teeter. All members voted in favor, motion approved.
2. Home Rule Proclamation- Motion made for Home Rule Proclamation made by Richard Thomas, seconded by Ron Kauffman. All members voted in favor, motion approved.
3. Telspar for stop signs- Mayor, Jim Hughes, will order more from IPI.
Next Scheduled Council Meeting Thursday, January 3rd at 7 p.m.
Adjournment- Motion to adjourn made by Dwight Teeter, seconded by Ron Kauffman. All members voted in favor, motion approved. Meeting adjourned at 7:30 p.m.