Beacon City Council Minutes
Tuesday, May 7th, 2019
Call to Order- Mayor Jim Hughes called the meeting to order at 7 p.m. City Council members present: Richard Thomas, Ron Kauffman, Danny Fetters, and Dwight Teeter. City Council members absent: Cecil Smith.
- General Business
- Review Minutes from April 4th, 2019 Meeting
- Treasurer’s Report
- Claims Report
Motion made to approve the consent agenda made by Richard Thomas, seconded by Ron Kauffman. All members voted in favor, motion approved.
- Hall Rentals- 5 hall rentals for the month of April
- Clean-up & Animal Control
Animal Control: 4 stray pickups in the month of March. Report has not been received for the month of April.
Clean Up: Council agreed to order 50 door stickers for notifying residents of ordinance violations for approximately $66.
3. Committee Reports
Sanitation: The Mahaska Co. Landfill will offer free drop off of items that garbage haulers will not pick up for Beacon city residents on Monday, June 3rd. No paint or chemicals will be accepted.
City wide garage sale will still be held May 31st and June 1st .
4. City Code Codification- Council received a revised proposed table of contents from Sterling Codifiers that will be reviewed at the June meeting.
5. New City Hall (size, requirements, design)- Proposed new city hall would be 30 ft x 60 ft, double the size of the current town hall. Council is waiting to hear from Pathfinders to see if our project was accepted, should hear in mid-May if our project was accepted.
6. LOST Fund Allocation- To change our LOST fund allocation ballot language will have to be added on the November ballot. City Clerk has reached out to the Mahaska Co. Auditor to see what is needed in order to get ballot language added.
- Williams and Sherman Street Culvert- The culver on the corner of Williams and Sherman St separated. Council will contact Concrete Expressions to have them prepare a bid.
- Ditch Cleanup- Ron and Danny made a list of ditches that need to get cleaned (dug out). There are only a few ditches that they identified. They will schedule their own work day to get the ditches cleaned out.
- 2020 Census- Mayor Jim was contacted from a representative for the 2020 census. They reported that open census jobs are available.
- 412 Reid Street- The City is going to contact our City Attorney to work to rule the property as abandoned.
- Concerned Resident- A concerned resident presented to council that they have multiple neighbors that have excess garbage in yards, property renters that have an abundance of animals living at the property, and excess people living in one residence. Council will work to issue notices to abate to property renters.
Next Scheduled Council Meeting Tuesday, June 4th at 7 p.m.
Adjournment- Motion made to adjourn by Dwight Teeter, seconded by Ron Kauffman. All members voted in favor, motion approved. Meeting adjourned at 8:00 p.m.