Beacon City Council Minutes
Tuesday, January 7th 2020
I. Call to Order- Mayor Jim Hughes called the meeting to order at 7:02 p.m. City Council Members present: Richard Thomas, Ron Kauffman, Dwight Teeter, Ron Ferree, and Thomas Van Der Veer.
II. General Business
- Review Minutes from December 3rd and December 12th Meeting
- Treasurer’s Report
- Claims Report
Motion made to approve the consent agenda made by Richard Thomas, seconded by Dwight Teeter. All members voted in favor, motion approved.
III. Old Business
- Hall Rentals- 4 hall rentals in the month of November and 2 hall rentals in the month of December
- Clean-up & Animal Control- Dog running loose the other day and knocked resident over. Dog owner was notified and animal control.
Zero stray animal intakes were reported in December from the Stephen Memorial Animal Shelter.
- Committee Reports- Jim attend an EMA meeting on January 2nd. A 28E Agreement was reviewed between EMA and E911 and voted on, the 28E Agreement passed.
- City Code Codification- A copy of the draft manuscript of the Beacon Code of Ordinances was distributed to each City Council Member. Council is to review the draft prior to the February meeting.
- New City Hall- Richard Thomas proposed putting funds into repairing our current building, rather than building a new city hall. Discussion was held in regards to the current City Hall’s foundation, footings, etc. Council discussed getting bids to do repairs for the current City Hall.
- 412 Reid Street- Richard Thomas proposed selling the property to the adjoining property owners. Discussion was held in regards to how much money the city has invested in the property in order to come up with a potential sales price. Discussion was also held in regards to the City determining whether the City will potentially want or need to use it for its own use. Thomas Van Der Veer moved to have City Clerk calculate all the fees associated with the acquisition of 412 Reid St, Richard Thomas seconded. All members voted in favor, motion approved.
- Trailer on Williams St- Property has been sold.
- Mahaska County Community Foundation Grant Opportunity- Council does not have a project to submit for the grant as council does not have enough time to acquire the bids necessary to complete the grant application on time.
IV. New Business
- Altrusa Little Free Library Program- Altrusa International of Oskaloosa, Iowa is willing to provide a Little Free Library to be built on the City of Beacon property. The Mahaska County Outreach Thrift Store is willing to donate books to supply the library. Altrusa is proposing to provide a Little Free Library for children’s books and is asking for permission to build/install this Little Free Library on City of Beacon property.
Motion made by Ron Kauffman to grant Altrusa International of Oskaloosa, Iowa permission to build/install the Little Free Library on the City of Beacon property near the Community Center, seconded by Dwight Teeter. All members voted in favor, motion approved.
- City Council Member Committee Appointment
Park & Recreation Committee:
Primary- Ron Ferree
Secondary- Thomas Van Der Veer
Clean-up & Weed Control Committee:
Primary- Richard Thomas
Secondary- Ron Ferree
Street Repair Committee:
Primary- Ron Kauffman
Secondary- Dwight Teeter
Animal Control Committee:
Primary- Thomas Van Der Veer
Secondary- Richard Thomas
Alley, Ditches, Signs & Lights Committee:
Primary- Dwight Teeter
Secondary- Ron Kauffman
Mayor Pro Temp: Ron Kauffman
Mahaska Co. EMA Representative: Thomas Van Der Veer
Mahaska Co. Solid Waste Representative: Richard Thomas
- 28E Agreement for Police Protection- Motion to approve the 28E Agreement drafted by the City of Beacon for 83 hours per year at a rate of $42/hour made by Richard Thomas, seconded by Dwight Teeter. All members voted in favor, motion approved.
Motion made to change Section 4 of the approved 28E Agreement to remove the “enforcement of the Beacon City Ordinances”, made by Dwight Teeter, seconded by Ron Kauffman. All members voted in favor, motion approved.
- Oskaloosa Public Library FY 20-21 Service Agreement- Council reviewed the Fiscal Year 2020/2021 Agreement for Library Services from the Oskaloosa Public Library. For fiscal year 2020/2021 the cost of library services to the City of Beacon will be $2,674. Motion made to approve the 2020/2021 Agreement for Library Services made by Ron Kauffman, seconded by Thomas Van Der Veer. All members voted in favor, motion approved.
- FY 2021 Budget- Council had a budget work session.
A public hearing on the 2021 maximum property tax dollars to certify for levy will be held on Tuesday, February 4th at 7 p.m. at the Beacon City Hall. A public hearing on the 2021 final budget will be held on Tuesday, February 25th at 7 p.m. at the Beacon City Hall.
V. Next Scheduled Council Meeting Tuesday, February 4th at 7 p.m.
VI. Adjournment- Motion to adjourn made by Dwight Teeter, seconded by Richard Thomas. All members voted in favor, motion approved. Meeting adjourned at 9:20 p.m.