Call to order: Mayor Maxwell called the meeting to order at 7:15 p.m. Council members present were: Richard Thomas, Aron Whitlatch, Tom VanDerVeer, Wayne Braden and Ron Ferree.
I. General Business
- A. Minutes of the May 5, 2011 regular meeting were reviewed. Wayne Braden made a motion to approve the minutes as presented and Ron Ferree seconded. The motion carried.
- Minutes of the May 17, 2011 Special Budget meeting were reviewed. Tom VanDerVeer made a motion to approve the minutes as presented and Aron Whitlatch seconded. The motion carried.
- B. Treasurer’s report was presented. Ron Ferree made a motion to accept Treasurer’s report as presented and Tom VanDerVeer seconded. The motion carried.
- C. Claims to be paid from May were reviewed. Ron Ferree made a motion to accept claims as reported and Wayne Braden seconded. The motion carried.
- D. Sewer Report –Kevin Bork reported the new fencing at lagoon has been completed and looks good.
- E. Water Report –
- Elwood Hanna – No report.
- Collections –Shirley Mitrisin was absent from meeting, no report.
- Justin Scholtus – No reported.
- F. Hall Rentals – Diane Whitlatch reported the following hall rentals:
- June – 2
- July – 3
- August – 1
- G. Stephen Memorial Animal Shelter Report – No report received from shelter. City Clerk received an email from Pat Dixon, Board of Directors informing the city the shelter is in the process of searching for a new director. The city received the Animal Control Service Agreement renewal with annual accounting of $1654.90 of which $827.45 i due June 25, 2011. Ron Ferree made a motion to approve the new agreement and pay $827.45. Tom VanDerVee seconded the motion. The motion carried. A motion to waive the second reading of the new Animal Control Service Agreement was made by Richard Thomas and seconded by Ron Ferree. The motion carried. A motion to approve the 3rd reading of the Animal Control Service Agreement renewal was made by Ron Ferree and seconded by Wayne Braden. The motion carried.
- H. Sheriff’s Report – Mayor Shawn Maxwell received a report from the Sheriff’s department reviewing the hours patrolled in Beacon January thru April, 2011. The report also informed the city’s contract with the department will need to be renewed in July. Because of the cost of gas, the city will see an increase of $500 over last year’s contract.
II. Old Business:
- A. Annexation – Further discussion was tabled.
- B. Fenton/Thomas Alley Sale – City Clerk is working on the sale process.
- C. Moore Alley Sale – City Clerk is working on the sale process.
- D. Sink Hole and Landscaping on Front Street – Council will re-visit Spring, 2012.
- E. Nuisance Letters – (Naylor, Linville and Russell) Council has not seen any changes made in the properties. Ron Ferree made a motion to proceed with municipal letters and fines, Richard Thomas seconded. The motion carried. The City Clerk will contact the city’s attorney to proceed with municipal letters and fines.
- F. Mahaska Rural Water – Randy Pleima has not made contact with Beacon. If we don’t hear from Randy by next month the city will contact him.
- G. North Grant Ditch Work – Richard has not heard anything, will make contact next month.
- H. City Maintenance Issues – Tom VanDerVeer made a motion to purchase an auger for the city to use for sign maintenance. Aron Whitlatch seconded. The motion carried. Council will purchase and fix the following issues.
- Leaning street sign on Front/Leighton Street
- Sign on Grant Street
- No parking sign on Leighton/Grant Street
- Stop sign on Front/Elm Streets
- I. Furniture on Sherman Street – Furniture was removed and issue will be removed from agenda.
- J. Tree Removal near Smith Residence – Owls are reported grown and gone from tree. Shawn Maxwell received a $400 quote from Steve Hynick to cut down the tree, stump removal and clean-up. It was decided to get another quote to see if city can is getting the best price.
- K. Abandoned Property – Aron Whitlatch had not made contact with homeowner.
- L. Guardrail Placement/Replacement – Mayor Shawn Maxwell received quotes and reviewed with council. After discussion, council will consider other options next month.
- Perry Street
- Sheridan Street
- M. Floodplain Ordinance Amendment – Council reviewed updated ordinance with four recommended changes. Ron Ferree made a motion to approve the 1st reading of the updated ordinance. Aron Whitlatch seconded. The motion carried. Ron Ferree made a motion to not wait until the next meeting to approve the 2nd reading of the updated ordinance and Aron Whitlatch seconded. The motion carried. Ron Ferree made a motion to accept the updated ordinance and not wait for the 3rd reading of the ordinance. Aron Whitlatch seconded. The motion carried. The City Clerk will post the updated ordinance at the city post office, City Hall and Thomas Sanitation and mail the updated ordinance.
- N. Widening of the Highway – The city received 4 bids for the project and discussed all bids. It was brought up the city should also discuss paving Sherman street since the city will only have money to complete one project this year. The council took a vote for which project the council would support. Ron Ferree, Richard Thomas, Wayne Braden and Aron Whitlatch voted to complete the highway widening project. Tom VanDerVeer voted to proceed with the Sherman Street pavement project, after the vote, the majority carried to proceed with the Highway widening project. Wayne Braden made a motion to proceed with the Highway widening project and Ron Ferree seconded. The motion carried. Shane Moore Construction will be given approval to proceed with the highway widening project.
- O. 2nd Reading for Council Pay Increase – Ron Ferree made a motion to approve the second reading to increase the pay for Mayor to $150 per meeting attended. Richard Thomas seconded. The motion carried. Ron Ferree made a motion to approve the second reading to increase the pay for City Council members to $50 per meeting attended. Tom VanDerVeer seconded. The motion carried. The City Clerk will post updated ordinance at the post office, City Hall and Thomas sanitation.
III. Business from the floor:
- A. Mediacom Channel Changes – The following channels will be added to the Digital Broadcast Basic tier: KDSM-DT Country, channel 102 and KDSM-DT Cool TV, channel 102. The following channel will be added to the Digital Family tier: Comcast Sports Plus, channel 127. Fox Business, channel 248 will be added to the Digital Plus package.
- B. Municipal Pipe Tool Company Price Increase – Fuel surcharge increase beginning May 1, 2011 was reviewed.
- C. EMC Insurance Policy Insurance Changes – Policy changes were reviewed with council.
- D. Land Management Certification of Property Tax Levy – City received announcement.
- E. US Commerce – Access to 2010 Census information was reviewed.
- F. Oskaloosa Voluntary Annexation – Legal description changed was reviewed.
- G. Hail Damage to City Hall – City Clerk was instructed to contact the insurance carrier to review damage.
- H. Citizen requested to tear out sidewalk and seed for grass. Council discussed and agreed the citizen would not be allowed to remove the side walk but must maintain as a public walk-way.
- I. Pat LaFollette Property – The City Clerk was instructed to send a nuisance letter to homeowner referencing Mowing infraction, weeds, tree stumps, junk vehicles and parking on city property.
IV. Next meeting date – July 7, 2011
V. Adjournment – Motion to adjourn was made by Richard Thomas and seconded by Tom VanDerVeer. Motion carried.