Beacon City Council Minutes
Thursday, May 4, 2017
Call to Order- Mayor Jim Hughes called the meeting to order at 7:01 p.m. Council members present were Cecil Smith, Dwight Teeter, Ron Kauffman, and Richard Thomas.
- Review Minutes from April 4th Meeting
- Treasurer’s Report-
- Claims Report-
Motion to approve the consent agenda made by Richard Thomas, seconded by Ron Kauffman. Motion approved.
- Hall Rentals- There were six hall rentals in the month of April.
- Clean-up & Animal Control- Beacon Spring Clean-up Monday, June 5th- City of Beacon will be having the annual city wide garage sale June 2nd and June 3rd. The City of Beacon annual clean up will be Monday, June 5th. Only the following items will be picked up: furniture, appliances (limit 3 per household), mattresses or box springs (limit 1 per household), other large, bulky items that garbage haulers cannot pick up.
Mayor Jim Hughes and council members Ron Kauffman and Dwight Teeter confirmed their availability to volunteer for the spring clean-up.
Mowing/Weed Ordinance- The City of Beacon mowing/weed ordinance has been published. Mayor Jim Hughes will contact the City mowing service contractor to see if they would be interested in mowing the properties out of ordinance. 3. Front St. Property- The property did not sell at the Sheriff’s sale so it went back to the bank. The bank will give the City of Beacon the property. The City will have its attorney complete paperwork necessary to facilitate this. 4. City of Beacon Entrance Sign- Richard Thomas brought entrance sign design options for the entrance sign. Discussion was held regarding the entrance sign design options. The entrance sign is tabled until another meeting as Richard will get pricing information for the design options he presented.
- Replace concrete on corner of Front St. and Kilbourn- Dustin Teeter from Concrete Expressions presented the City of Beacon with a bid of $5,280 to replace concrete on the corner of Front St. and Kilbourn and install a culvert provided by Mahaska County. Motion to approve the bid made by Richard Thomas, seconded by Ron Kauffman. Motion approved. Dustin will schedule completion of the project with the City of Beacon.
- Replace concrete on corner of Front St. and Leighton- Dustin Teeter also presented the City of Beacon with a bid of $3,600 to replace the concrete on the corner of Front St. and Leighton Street. Motion to approve the bid made by Richard Thomas, seconded by Ron Kauffman. Motion approved. Dustin will schedule completion of the project with the City of Beacon.
- Williams Street Culvert Work- Dustin reported that Concrete Expressions will have this project completed with 90 days.
- Larry Terpstra Access Road to Lagoon- City of Beacon resident Larry Terpstra took the floor. Larry had received a property tax notice for a piece of property briefly legally described as Lot 2 of Lot 12 SW N E that he did not think he owned as the City maintains it. Upon his research, he does in fact own this property and has been paying taxes on the property. The City of Beacon does has have a permanent easement on the piece of ground and maintains it. Larry does not want to sell the property to the City and will continue paying taxes on the property.
- Anderson’s Country Store Tobacco Permit (1st Reading)- Motion to pass made by Richard Thomas, seconded by Dwight Teeter. Motion approved.
- 28E Agreement- Council reviewed 28E Agreement with Mahaska County for law enforcement services. Motion to accept and sign agreement made by Ron Kauffman, seconded by Dwight Teeter. Motion approved.
The City of Beacon received a contract payment request from the Mahaska Co. Sheriff’s Office for $12,082.44. The city budgets funds yearly per the agreed upon amount in the 28E Agreement and makes payments upon request from the County. $12,082.44 is the amount we have budgeted and not yet paid for Mahaska County, these funds will be used to purchase cameras for each Sheriff’s vehicle. Motion to approve payment to L3 Mobile Vision in the amount of $12,082.44 for the Mahaska Co. Sheriff’s Office purchase of vehicle cameras made by Dwight Teeter, seconded by Richard Thomas. Motion approved.
Next Scheduled Council Meeting Tuesday, June 6th at 7 p.m.
Adjournment- Motion to adjourn made by Richard Thomas, seconded by Ron Kauffman. Meeting adjourned at 8:05 p.m.