Beacon City Council Minutes
Tuesday, December 3rd 2019
I. Call to Order- Mayor Jim Hughes called the meeting to order at 6:59 p.m. City Council members present: Richard Thomas, Ron Kauffman, Dwight Teeter, and Danny Fetters. City Council members absent: Cecil Smith
II. General Business
- Review Minutes from November 7th Meeting
- Treasurer’s Report
- Claims Report
Motion made to approve the consent agenda made by Dwight Teeter, seconded by Ron Kauffman. All members voted in favor, motion approved.
III. Old Business
- Hall Rentals- 0 hall rentals reported for the month of November
- Clean-up & Animal Control- No reports received for the month of November
- Committee Reports- No updates
- City Code Codification- No updates
- New City Hall- Special meeting will be held on Thursday, December 12th at 7 p.m. for the students to present their presentation on the new City Hall design/layout.
- 412 Reid Street- Citizens expressed their concern in regards to the City owning the property. Neighboring property owners have expressed interest in their own personal ownership of the property, rather than the City’s. At this time, the City has not voted to keep the property, nor has the City voted to tear down the property and/or build a new shed to store City equipment. Motion made by Richard Thomas to table further discussion until January meeting, seconded by Ron Kauffman. All members voted in favor, motion approved.
Motion made by Dwight Teeter to insure the property for assessed value with a $1,000 deductible, Ron Kauffman seconded. All members voted in favor, motion approved.
- Trailer on Williams St- No update
- 2019 Annual Financial Report- This has been submitted by the City Clerk
- 2019 City Street Inventory Update- This has been submitted by the City Clerk
IV. New Business
- Eric Dursky, Mahaska County Board of Health- Eric Dursky reported that he could work for the City on a case by base, flat fee, or monthly basis. He will submit an annual, hourly, and monthly rate sheet for his services. Eric also offered his assistance with review of our ordinance drafts from the codification company.
- Concrete Expressions Invoices- Council received and invoice for work from the Anderson Alley to the Thomas Alley for $18,380, Corner of Grant St and Williams St for $10,336, and the Corner of Williams and Sherman St for $15,663. All invoices for the project bid amount or lower. Motion made by Richard Thomas to issue payment to Concrete Expressions, seconded by Ron Kauffman. All members voted in favor.
- Oath of Office for two year term beginning January 1, 2020
Jim Hughes, Mayor
Dwight Teeter, City Council Member
Richard Thomas, City Council Member
Ron Kauffman, City Council Member
Ron Feree, City Council Member
Thomas Van Der Veer, City Council Member
City Clerk, Jaimie Williamson, administered the Oath of Office for the Mayor and each City Council Member.
- 28E Agreement for Police Protection- The Mahaska County Supervisors sent a notice that they will charge $42/hour for police protection services for FY 2021.
V. Next Scheduled Council Meeting Thursday, December 12th at 7 p.m.
VI. Adjournment- Motion made to adjourn made by Dwight Teeter, seconded by Ron Kauffman, meeting adjourned at 8:05 p.m.