Beacon City Council Minutes
Tuesday, November 6th, 2018
Call to Order- Mayor Jim Hughes called the meeting to order at 6:59 p.m. City Council members present: Richard Thomas, Ron Kauffman, and Dwight Teeter. City Council members absent: Danny Fetters and Cecil Smith.
- Review Minutes from October 4th, 2018 Meeting
- Treasurer’s Report-
- Claims Report-
Motion made to approve the consent agenda made by Richard Thomas, seconded by Ron Kauffman. All members voted in favor, motion approved.
- Hall Rentals- 5 hall rentals reported for October
- Clean-up & Animal Control-
- No stray animal intake report from Stephen Memorial Animal Shelter for October. Mayor Jim Hughes reported that the Stephen Memorial Animal Shelter picked up dogs from Chad McCartie’s property that had been neglected. The animal shelter will not be giving back the dogs because they were so neglected.
- Mayor Jim Hughes also reported that some city residents were letting their dogs run loose. Jim has talked to these residents and has not seen the dogs running loose any longer.
- On the night of Saturday, November 3rd the City Hall and City shed were graffitied. Mayor Jim Hughes and another volunteer came and cleaned up the graffiti. However, some of it had to be painted over. Jim thinks that the City will have to replace some vinyl siding on the City Hall. The graffiti has been reported to the Mahaska Co. Sheriff’s Office and they are investigating. 4. Committee Reports- No Update 5. City Code Codification- No Update 6. Storm Siren- Storm Siren Resolution passed at October 11th EMA Commission Meeting. 7. Nuisance/Abandoned Property Abatement- City Attorney, Jeff Smith, advised that the City of Beacon had followed Iowa Code 364.12 and can assess $300 against the property taxes for the property located at 412 Reid Street. Jim is going to contact the homeowner and put them in touch with an interested buyer. 8. Culvert on Sheridan Street- No update, will be completed by 1/4/19. 9. MidWest Sanitation-Recycling- LDI presented a bid to the City of Beacon for recycling services at a rate of $5/mo/household with biweekly pickup. Tabled until next meeting. 10. 2018 Annual Financial Report- City Clerk, Jaimie Williamson, submitted electronically. A hard copy of the Annual Financial Report with proof of publication will also be submitted prior to the December 1st 11. 2018/2019 Snow Removal- Concrete Expressions will be providing snow removal for the City of Beacon for the 2018/2019 year.
- 2018 City Street Inventory Update- Council reviewed the map provided by the Iowa DOT. Revisions need made to the Beacon City Limits on the map and the gravel vs paved portion of Grant St. City Clerk, Jaimie Williamson, will submit these changes to the Iowa DOT by the deadline 2/1/19
- Purchase Road Closed Signs- Dwight Teeter moved to purchase 2 road closed barricade signs and a dozen cones, seconded by Ron. All members voted in favor, motion approved.
Next Scheduled Council Meeting Tuesday, December 4th at 7 p.m.
Adjournment- Motion to adjourn made by Richard Thomas, seconded by Dwight Teeter. All members voted in favor, motion approved. Meeting adjourned at 7:35 p.m.