Beacon City Council Minutes
Tuesday, April 3rd, 2018
Call to Order- Mayor Jim Hughes called the meeting to order at 6:59 p.m. City Council members present: Danny Fetters, Richard Thomas, Dwight Teeter, Ron Kauffman, and Cecil Smith.
- Review Minutes from March 6th, 2018 Meeting
- Treasurer’s Report-
- Claims Report-
Motion made to approve the consent agenda made by Richard Thomas, seconded by Ron Kauffman. All members voted in favor, motion approved.
- Hall Rentals- There were two hall rentals in the month of March.
- Clean-up & Animal Control- There was one intake in March, Bill Lewis’ dog. – Billy Lewis animal nuisance- Dog was taken in my animal shelter in March and has been released. There have not been complaints about the dog running loose since. —- Garbage at trailers on Sherman Street- Homeowners have been contacted; has been picked up. – Beacon Spring Clean up- Monday, June 4th – Richard and Dwight volunteered to help with the Beacon Spring Clean-up.
- Committee Reports
- Alley, ditches, and signs: Ron and Danny will create a list of ditches that need cleaned out so we can get the service contracted.
- City Code Codification- City Clerk, Jaimie Williamson, submitted a grant application to MCCF to cover the cost of the codification services. Grant recipients have not been selected yet. We are waiting on a contract for codification services from Sterling Codifiers, Jaimie will continue following up.
- Storm Siren Resolution 3-06-18 entitled “RESOLUTION TRANSFERRING OWNERSHIP OF EQUIPMENT OWNED BY THE CITY OF BEACON TO THE MAHASKA COUNTY EMERGENCY MANAGEMENT COMMISSION PURSUANT TO IOWA CODE SECTION 29C.9(2)”. Tabled until next meeting, Jamey Robinson from the Mahaska County EMA Commission will be invited to come to discuss.
- North Grant Street Parking
- Review State Code- Council reviewed the state codes correspond to our ordinance. Sheriff Russ Van Renterghem told the council that the Mahaska County Sheriff’s department enforces state laws within the City of Beacon.
- 28E Agreement- Council reviewed 28E Agreement with Mahaska County of law enforcement services. Motion to accept and sign agreement made by Dwight Teeter, seconded by Cecil Smith. All members voted in favor, motion carried.
- Open Floor- Mahaska County Supervisor Mark Groenedyk invited the council to the next Mahaska County Board of Supervisors meeting as they will be discussing the Mahaska County communication system and request for proposal. Mark will e-mail the meeting details to City Clerk, Jaimie, who will pass them onto the council.
Next Scheduled Council Meeting Thursday, May 3rd
Adjournment- Motion to adjourn made by Richard Thomas, seconded by Dwight Teeter. All members voted in favor, motion approved. Meeting adjourned at 8:11 p.m.