Beacon City Council Minutes
Thursday, September 3rd 2020
I. Call to Order- Mayor Pro Tem Ron Kauffman called the meeting to order at 7:02 p.m. Members present: Richard Thomas, Dwight Teeter, and Ron Ferree. Members absent: Tom Van Der Veer.
II. General Business
- Review Minutes from August 4th Meeting
- Treasurer’s Report
- Claims Report
Motion made to approve the consent agenda made by Richard Thomas, seconded by Dwight Teeter. All members voted in favor, motion approved.
III. Old Business
- Hall Rentals- The city is currently not renting out the town hall due to COVID-19.
- Clean-up & Animal Control- No report received for August
- Committee Reports- No reports
- Little Free Library- Altrusa International of Oskaloosa held a dedication ceremony for the Little Free LIbrary
- City Code Codification- Sterling Codifiers have submitted complete Code of Ordinance binders (7) to the City of Beacon. City Clerk, Jaimie Williamson, advised council to review the Code of Ordinances prior to our next meeting to make sure all changes have been made as requested. At the October meeting, council will vote to accept the Code of Ordinances as presented by Sterling Codifiers.
- City Hall Repair/Remodel Bids- The price of materials (lumber, sheet rock, etc) has skyrocketed due to COVID-19 and has also made them difficult to obtain. Neal Van Egmond is currently working another job and has ordered some materials for the City Hall project that he is waiting to receive.
Richard has followed up with G&B Foundation Repair to get a quote on a new ramp and stairs for the entry to the City Hall and for the back entry that will be installed . G&B Foundation Repair has not been able to make it to the City Hall to give a quote, but they are expected to be here next week. Richard will also reach out to other vendors to get quotes.
- Elm Street Culvert- Dwight contacted Concrete Expressions to pack in the dirt by the culvert on Elm Street North of the City Hall. Concrete Expressions noted that the whole ditch along Elm St between Grant St and Kilbourn St needs to be shaved. Concrete Expressions doesn’t think we need a funnel ramp. Richard Thomas moved to have Concrete Expressions proceed with shaving the section of ditch along Elm Street between Grant St and Kilbourn St, seconded by Ron Ferree. All members voted in favor, motion approved.
- City Hall AC Unit- Johnson’s Heating & Air Conditioning has repaired our City Hall AC Unit
IV. New Business
- Resolution SFR 19-20 City Street Financial Report- Resolution SFR 19-20 entitled “FISCAL YEAR 2020 CITY STREET FINANCIAL REPORT” was introduced. Richard Thomas moved its approval, Ron Ferree seconded. All members voted in favor, motion approved. Whereupon the Mayor Pro Tem declared said resolution duly adopted.
- From the Floor-
- Ron Ferree reported that he believes there is a sink hole in resident Cody Major’s yard. Richard Thomas will contact the county.
V. Next Scheduled Council Meeting Tuesday, October 6th at 7 p.m.
VI. Adjournment- Motion to adjourn made by Ron Ferree, seconded by Richard Thomas All members voted in favor, meeting adjourned at 7:37 p.m