Beacon City Council Minutes
Thursday, November 7th, 2019
Call to Order- Mayor Jim Hughes called the meeting to order at 6:59 p.m. City Council members present: Richard Thomas, Ron Kauffman, Dwight Teeter, and Danny Fetters. City Council members absent: Cecil Smith
- General Business
- Review Minutes from October 8th Meeting
- Treasurer’s Report
- Claims Report
Motion made to approve the consent agenda made by Dwight Teeter, seconded by Richard Thomas. All members voted in favor, motion approved.
- Hall Rentals- 4 hall rentals in the month of October
- Clean-up & Animal Control- 1 stray intake in the month of October
- Committee Reports- No updates
- City Code Codification- Will have draft completed by end of November
- New City Hall- Students are currently working on the floor and walls, the site grading and utilities, and the total cost estimate. They are aiming to have a large majority of the project finished by Thanksgiving break.
- 412 Reid Street- Council discussed tearing down house located at 412 Reid Street that the City now has possession of to use as City property and discussed potentially selling the property. The City has a vendor contracted to tear down the property for free if the City maintains ownership. The City would either need to add onto the existing equipment shed or relocate the shed to this property. With the plans to build a new City Hall, it is of interest to the City to relocate the equipment shed to this property. Also discussed potentially tearing down the house located on this property and selling the property later. Discussion tabled.
- City Election
Mayor- Jim Hughes
City Council Member- Dwight Teeter
City Council Member- Richard Thomas
City Council Member- Ron Kauffman
City Council Member- Thomas Van Der Veer
City Council Member- One candidate received a majority of write in votes, they will be contact to confirm if he will accept the position.
LOSST Ballot Measure Passed
8. Blades for brush cutter- Wait to purchase new blades until next Spring
9. Trailer on Williams St- The “for sale” signs are down from this property.
- 2019 Annual Financial Report- Will be published November 12th and filed by the December 1st
- 2019 City Street Inventory Update- No changes to report to Iowa DOT
- Snow Removal- The City put an ad in the Oskaloosa Herald requesting snow removal bids, the City only received a bid from Concrete Expressions. Motion made by Richard Thomas to accept Concrete Expressions’ snow removal bid, seconded by Ron Kauffman. All members voted in favor, motion approved.
- Grant St/Williams St Culvert Bid- The council reviewed a bid to tear out and replace the culver at Grant St/Williams St submitted by Concrete Expressions. Motion made by Ron Kauffman to accept the bid from Concrete Expressions, seconded by Richard Thomas. All members voted in favor, motion approved.
- City Hall Flag Pole Light- The last bulb put into the light fixture only lasted a week. Council will proceed with getting Tim Besco, electrician, to come look at it.
- Council Concerns- Used needles were found in resident’s yard. Council will contact the Mahaska County Board of Health to contract their services. Next Scheduled Council Meeting Tuesday, December 3rd at 7 p.m.
Adjournment- Motion to adjourn made by Dwight Teeter, seconded by Ron Kauffman. All members voted in favor, motion approved. Meeting adjourned at 7:45 p.m.