Beacon City Council Minutes
Tuesday, October 3rd 2017
Call to Order- Mayor Jim Hughes called the meeting to order at 6:59 p.m. City council members present: Cecil Smith, Richard Thomas, Dwight Teeter, and Ron Kauffman. Council members absent: Darrell Rust
- General Business
- Review Minutes from September 5, 2017
- Treasurer’s Report
- Claims Report
Motion made to approve the consent agenda made by Dwight Teeter, seconded by Richard Thomas. All members voted in favor, motion approved.
- Hall Rentals- No hall rental funds were dropped off prior to the meeting by the custodian Angie Mathis. City Treasurer, Lois Nicholson, will follow up with Angie to collect hall rental fees for the month of September if there were rentals.
- Clean-up and Animal Control- There were no stray animal calls or intakes in the month of September.
- Front Street Property i. Public Hearing at November 8th meeting ii. Council will try to have closing documents prepared for the November 8th
- City Election i. 5 candidates submitted nomination paperwork for City Council Member vacancies ii. Election is November 7th
- Sex Offender Regulations Article 14 Chapter 2- Due to changes in the State of Iowa Code, our ordinance regulating where sex offenders live is no longer enforceable. However, the Mahaska County Sheriff’s Office is performing monthly compliance checks with registered sex offenders in the County. City Clerk, Jaimie Williamson, will work with the Iowa League of Cities to revise our current ordinance to be in compliance with the State of Iowa.
- Public Hearing FY18 City Budget Amendment- The mayor announced this is the time and place for the public hearing regarding approving the FY18 City Budget Amendment. There were no oral or written comments received. The mayor declared said hearing closed.
Resolution 10-03-17 entitled “CITY BUDGET AMENDMENT” was introduced. Cecil Smith moved its approval, Ron Kauffman seconded. All members voted in favor, motion approved. Whereupon the Mayor declared said resolution duly adopted.
2. City Street Annual Financial Report FY17- Council reviewed the City Street Annual Financial Report for Fiscal Year 2017. Dwight Teeter moved its approval, Ron Kauffman seconded. All members voted in favor, motion carried. Jaimie, City Clerk, will publish the financial report and will submit to the State of Iowa.
3. Disposition of Records- City Clerk, Jaimie Williamson, sorted bank statements, check registers, deposit books, etc. that were more than 10 years old to be disposed of. Council approved the purchase of a shredder to properly dispose of said documents.
4. Mahaska County Sheriff’s Report- Trevor Wells retirement party will be on the afternoon of Friday, October 6th at the law center, the public is welcome.
Next Scheduled City Council Meeting Wednesday, November 8th
Adjournment- Motion to adjourn made by Dwight Teeter, seconded by Ron Kauffman. All members voted in favor, meeting adjourned at 7:38 p.m.