Beacon City Council Minutes
Thursday, July 6th, 2017
Call to Order- Mayor Jim Hughes called the meeting to order at 7:03 p.m. Council members present were Cecil Smith, Dwight Teeter, Ron Kauffman, Darrell Rust, and Richard Thomas.
- Review Minutes from June 6th Meeting
- Treasurer’s Report-
- Claims Report-
Motion to approve the consent agenda made by Richard Thomas, seconded by Cecil Smith. Motion carried.
- Hall Rentals- There were three hall rentals in the month of June.
- Clean-up & Animal Control- A notice to abate garbage to the homeowner at 311 Elm Street will be sent. There was 1 animal intake in June.
- Front St. Property- The City of Beacon paid the back taxes on the property at 502 Front St. The City of Beacon also has the title to the trailer transferred to their name. Ron will contact Danny Fetters in regards to selling the property to him. Danny will be responsible for disposing of the trailer after the sale.
- City of Beacon Entrance Sign- Ron Kauffman and Jim Hughes have installed the new entrance sign.
- Williams St Culvert Work- Work will begin on July 7th. Repayment agreements from Kyle Thomas and John Atkinson have been received.
- City Election- The mayor and all city council member terms end in December 2017. Candidate filing begins on Monday, August 28th. The filing deadline is Thursday, September 21st.
- 2017-2018 Animal Control Services Agreement- Motion to approve the 2017-2018 Animal Control Services Agreement made by Dwight Teeter, seconded by Ron Kauffman. Motion carried.
- Leighton Street Road Repair- Council reviewed bid from Concrete Expressions to tear out and replace approximately 2500 sq ft of concrete on Leighton Street in the amount of $20,544.00. Motion made by Darrell Thomas to approve the bid, seconded by Cecil Smith. Motion carried. Concrete Expressions will have the work completed by October 6, 2017.
- Sheridan Street Culvert and Road Repair- Council reviewed bid from Concrete Expressions to tear out and replace concrete, a culvert, and the walls of the catch basin on Sheridan Street in the amount of $21,838. Council tabled until next meeting.
- Snow Fence- Ron will order 200 ft of wood snow fence from the Iowa DOT.
- Mahaska Co. Sheriff’s Office Report- Mahaska County Sheriff Russ VanRenterghem thanked the City of Beacon for the purchase of equipment for the Sheriff’s Office. The funds used to purchase this equipment are budgeted yearly per our 28E Agreement with the Mahaska Co. Sheriff’s Office. Russ also reported that the Mahaska Co. Sheriff’s Office have started their own FaceBook page. The Sheriff’s Office also received a grant to purchase a speed sign. The Sheriff’s Office will alternate the locations of this speed sign between locations in Fremont, Beacon, and other cities within the county.
Next Scheduled Council Meeting Tuesday, August 8th at 7 p.m.
Adjournment- Motion to adjourn made by Richard, seconded by Dwight. Meeting adjourned at 7:43 p.m.