Beacon City Council Minutes
Thursday, June 4th 2020
I. Call to Order- Mayor Jim Hughes called the meeting to order at 7 p.m. City Council members present: Tom Van Der Veer, Ron Kauffman, Richard Thomas, and Ron Ferree. Members absent: Dwight Teeter
II. General Business
- Review Minutes from May 5th Meeting
- Treasurer’s Report
- Claims Report
Motion made to approve the consent agenda made by Ron Ferree, seconded by Richard Thomas. All members voted in favor, motion approved.
III. Old Business
- Hall Rentals- No hall rentals for the month of May due to COVID-19. Council discussed renting the hall for the month of June and decided that hall rentals would not be allowed for the month of June.
- Clean-up & Animal Control- No animal intake report received for the month of May.
- Committee Reports- Ron Kauffman and Jim Hughes worked to try to get the tractor running in order to mow ditches and yards violating the mowing/weed ordinance, however they were unable to. Council approved for Ron Kauffman to contact a mechanic that will come onsite to diagnose the tractor.
John McGrew called in regards to his ditch that got seeded after culvert work to Jim Hughes. The ditch is full of weeds. John wants to spray to kill the weeds and requests the council to re-seed. Ron Kauffman will call Dustin Teeter with Concrete Expressions to verify that he seeded this ditch and if he’d be willing to re-seed it.
John McGrew also talked to Richard Thomas in regards to motorcycles, dirt bikes, four wheelers, etc going through town. Sheriff, Russ Van Renterghem, reported that they have received many calls and complaints in regards to this.
4. 412 Reid St- Richard Thomas made a motion to sell the property to Jake Griffin for $5,000 to be sold on contract with 1 year allowed (6/1/2021) to demolish house while maintaining property upkeep, Ron Ferree seconded. All members voted in favor, motion carried.
IV. New Business
- Little Free Library- Bernice Hahn with Altrusa International of Oskaloosa presented the Little Free Library that was purchased for the City of Beacon. Bernice is inquiring as to where the Council would like to install the Little Free Library on City Property. Council advised to install the Little Free Library at the end of the ramp to the City Hall so that security lighting is present. Altrusa International of Oskaloosa will install the library.
- City Hall Repair/Remodel Bids- Council reviewed bids from J & J Construction, G&B Concrete Foundation Repair, and Neal Van Egmond. Shane Moore quoted property tiling to Tom Van Der Veer to not exceed $2,500.
Ron Kauffman would like to get another bid for foundation repair. Richard Thomas made a motion to accept G&B Concrete Foundation Repair’s bid for $3,675 for foundation repair to the City Hall. Richard Thomas withdrew motion and requested to table the foundation repair until next meeting. Richard Thomas made a motion to accept Neal Van Egmond’s bid to remodel the Town Hall and build a new office per his bids for $35,371 and $3,927 respectively. Richard Thomas withdrew motion and requested to table until next meeting. Richard Thomas will contact G&B to get before/after pictures and/or photos of previous projects completed that are similar to ours.
Ron Kauffman made a motion to have a contractor come to the City Town Hall to check for roof leaks in the storage area of building, Richard Thomas seconded. All members voted in favor, motion carried. Richard Thomas will contact Adam Sterrett to come look at roof.
3. City Code Codification
4. Eric Dursky, Mahaska County Board of Health- Council can contract Eric Dursky’s services. Hourly services would be $40/hour with no mileage reimbursement. Council would be responsible to pay for attorney fees directly to the attorney. Tom Van Der Veer made a motion to hire Eric Dursky as a contractor for the City of Beacon, seconded by Ron Ferree. All members voted in favor, motion carried. Council agreed that all communication between the Council and Eric Dursky will be directed through City Clerk, Jaimie Williamson.
5. Richard Thomas reported that the grate along Sheridan Street is packed full of corn stalks causing water to backup to Shawn Maxwell’s yard. Dustin with Concrete Expressions had talked to Shawn and recommended that the grate be removed.
V. Next Scheduled Council Meeting Tuesday, July 7th at 7 p.m.
VI. Adjournment- Motion made to adjourn by Ron Ferree, seconded by Tom Van Der Veer. All members voted in favor, motion approved. Meeting adjourned at 8:31 p.m.