Beacon City Council Minutes
Tuesday, June 6th, 2017
Call to Order- Mayor Jim Hughes called the meeting to order at 6:57 p.m. Council members present were Cecil Smith, Dwight Teeter, Ron Kauffman, Darrell Rust, and Richard Thomas.
Review Minutes from May 4th Meeting
Motion to approve the consent agenda made by Richard Thomas, seconded by Darrell Rust. Motion approved.
- Hall Rentals- There were seven hall rentals in the month of May.
- Clean-up & Animal Control- There were no strays or intakes in the month of May.
- Beacon Spring Clean-up- Over 12 tons of items were removed from the City of Beacon during the clean-up. Mayor Jim Hughes thanked everyone who helped.
- Front St. Property- The deed for the property is in the City of Beacon’s name. City of Beacon will pay the back taxes on the property.
- City of Beacon Entrance Sign- Richard Thomas brought samples of sign materials and some new designs. He got a quote from Champion Signs for $390 and a quote from Musco for $480 which would be reduce approximately $40 for us providing our own design. Mayor Jim Hughes had an estimate for $300 for a sign. Darrell moved to approve the design Jim presented and use his contractor (Nutz Graphic) to make the sign, seconded by Ron Kauffman. Nay, Richard Thomas. Abstain, Dwight Teeter. Motion carried. Mayor Jim Hughes will get the sign ordered.
- Anderson’s Country Store Tobacco Permit (2nd Reading)- Cecil made motion to approve a tobacco permit for Anderson’s Country Store, seconded by Dwight. Motion carried. Motion to waive the 3rd reading made by Richard, seconded by Ron. Motion carried.
- Concrete replacement on the corner of Front St. and Kilbourn- Motion made by Cecil Smith to approve the 2nd reading the bid from Concrete Expressions to replace the concrete on the corner of Front St. and Kilbourn and install a culvert provided by Mahaska County in the amount of $5,280, seconded by Richard. Motion carried.
- Concrete replacement on the corner of Front St. and Leighton- Motion made by Cecil Smith to approve the 2nd reading the bid from Concrete Expressions to replace the concrete on the corner of Front St. and Leighton Street in the amount of $3,600, seconded by Richard. Motion carried.
- Williams St Culvert Work- Concrete Expressions will have the work completed by August 4, 2017. City Clerk Jaimie Williamson will send out the resident repayment agreements for the culverts. Repayment will begin after 30 days of completion of work.
- Fireworks- The City of Beacon will not change its fireworks policy. Fireworks can be ignited in Beacon from 9 a.m. to 11 p.m. on the Fourth of July only by residents over 18 years old who are under the legal alcohol limit.
- Nellie Winkleman Culvert- Nellie Winkleman wants to put a culvert on her property that sits along Leighton Street. The council approved the culvert. Council suggested a galvanized steel culvert with a clean-out box and water access to the culvert depending on the length of the culvert. Council will approve the culvert before Nellie completes the project.
Next Scheduled Council Meeting Thursday, July 6 at 7 p.m.
Adjournment- Motion to adjourn made by Dwight, seconded by Ron. Meeting adjourned at 8:03 p.m.