Beacon City Council Minutes
Tuesday, October 6th 2020
I. Call to Order- Jim Hughes called the meeting to order at 7 p.m. Members present: Richard Thomas, Dwight Teeter, and Tom Van Der Veer. Members absent: Ron Ferree and Ron Kauffman.
II. General Business
- Review Minutes from September 3rd Meeting
- Treasurer’s Report
- Claims Report
Motion made to approve the consent agenda made by Richard Thomas, seconded by Dwight Teeter. All members voted in favor, motion approved.
III. Old Business
- Hall Rentals- The city is currently not renting out the town hall due to COVID-19
- Clean-up & Animal Control – No stray animal intakes for August or September
- Committee Reports – No Update
- Little Free Library – No Update
- City Hall Repair/Remodel Bids – Richard requested to table the foundation work, emergency exit concrete, and city hall entrance (ramp/stair concrete) this until February. Richard also reported that Neal Van Egmond is waiting on materials and is currently working on other jobs.
IV. New Business
- 306 Sheridan Street Fence – Homeowner requesting putting up a non-permanent fence on city property. Property owner not in attendance. Tabled.
- 412 Reid Street- Property owner, Jake Griffin, tore down house on property. Tom Van Der Veer moved that the property had been cleaned up satisfactorily and for the City to procced with transferring the deed, seconded by Richard Thomas. All members voted in favor, motion approved.
- City Code Codification- Ordinance Article 1 Chapter 9- Tabled until next meeting to see if other members noted any changes needed.
- Trick or Treat Night- Will be Thursday, October 29th from 6 p.m. to 8 p.m.
- From the floor-
- Kathryn Kaul-Goodman attended the meeting. She is running against Mark Groenendyk for Mahaska County Supervisor.
- Richard Thomas says that Darrell Rust has voiced complaints about Mustang Thomas playing loud, vulgar music. Haven’t had any problems over the past couple of weeks. A Sheriff’s Deputy has spoken to them about it as it is a public nuisance.
V. Next Scheduled Council Meeting Thursday, November 5th at 7 p.m.
VI. Adjournment- Motion to adjourn made by Richard Thomas, seconded by Tom Van Der Veer. All members voted in favor, meeting adjourned at 7:37 p.m